SAFE was originally established in 2003 in New Zealand as a framework for the provision of shipping expertise and experience to shipping and port industry stakeholders in Australasia. The business then moved to Australia from where it has operated since 2006.
Services provided have included:
- Port Scoping Studies;
- Preparation of Container Terminal Concession EOIs, Business Plans and Tenders;
- Container Terminal Development:
- Project Implementation;
- Management Contract Negotiations;
- Selection of Contractors for port engineering studies;
- Design of Terminal operational layout;
- Choice of Handling Equipment;
- Placement of Personnel in port terminal roles;
- Due Diligence on various potential container terminal and stevedoring investments;
- Preparation of Tender Bids for performance improvement in various container operations;
- Stevedoring Proposal preparation for bulk products;
- Coal and Bulk Handling investment or improvement studies;
- Strategic Adviser on port operations for developing countries,
- Shipping and Barge transport studies;
- Contributory advice on Offshore Bulk Cargo Transfer operations;
- Preparation of various advisory papers, commentaries and budget estimates;
- Various desk studies in respect to prospective shipping, logistics, stevedoring and related logistics projects.
Shipping and Freight Enterprises (SAFE) has worked with:
- Terminal Investment Companies;
- International Aid agencies;
- Port and Marine Engineering Companies;
- Port and Shipping Consultancies;
- Logistics Consultancies;
- Shipping Lines;
- Mining Companies; and
- Personnel Placement Agencies.
The services provided by SAFE have been based on the extensive international experience its Director, Mick Payze, has had in Developing and Managing Marine and Transport Enterprises including 17 years as General Manager or CEO.
Some of these experiences are outlined below with links to more detailed information on each of the respective positions held.
- Shipping and Freight Enterprises Ltd – Principal/Consultant – Toronto, NSW, Australia – from May 2006 to present time – See Shipping and Freight Enterprises P/L
- P&O Ports, Sydney – Business Development Manager – Asia from January 2001 to December 2002, a position held pending an expected transfer to a CEO position offshore – See P&O Ports (Asia)
- NZL Group Ltd., New Zealand – Chief Executive from 1988 to 2000 – See NZL Group Ltd
- Shipping Corporation of New Zealand – started as Research and Development Managerand finished as Deputy Managing Director during the period 1974 – 1988 – See Shipping Corporation of New Zealand
- P&O Group – New Zealand Shipping Company, and Overseas Containers Limited, (OCL), at sea as a ship’s officer from 1961-1972 and P&O (NZ) Ltd, Wellington – Assistant Container Operations Manager from 1973 – 1974 – See New Zealand Shipping Company (NZSCo) and P&O Group
For more information on our services please click here